QPIRG Concordia is hiring an Alternative Library Coordinator for the Summer Semester (International Work Study Position)
For International work study students at Concordia University (undergraduate or graduate).
Deadline: Monday, May 22, 2017, before 5pm.
CONTRACT & ELIGIBILITY DETAILS: Please note that this position is open to Concordia students (undergraduate or graduate) approved for International work study positions. For more information about the work study program, and your potential eligibility, visit: http://faao.concordia.ca/workstudy/
WORK STUDY PROJECT NUMBER: I 28224-11
DURATION: May-August 2017
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This position will concentrate on the development, organization, and outreach of QPIRG Concordia’s Alternative Library. The Alternative Library Coordinator will coordinate the overall activities of the QPIRG Concordia Alternative Library, including liasoning with other alternative libraries on campus and off campus to update the online, searchable database of resources.
For more information about the Alternative Library visit http://qpirgconcordia.org/librarycirculation.
• Good research and data management skills
• Ability to take initiative and work independently
• Computer Skills
• Skills in database creation and maintenance
• Web design
• Ability to work independently and with groups
• Ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds
• Skills in volunteer recruitment, retention, and coordination
• Proven organizational and time management skills
• Ability to take initiative and work independently
• Creative problem-solving skills
• Commitment to social justice and to QPIRG’s mandate to counter discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, religion, colour, dis/ability, size, and class
• Understanding of anti-oppression framework in the workplace
• Experience working in a Mac environment
• Skills in MS Word, Adobe Photoshop
• Knowledge of local social justice milieu
• Knowledge of other languages, including sign languages
• Volunteering experience and/or working within a volunteer organization
Purpose of job: To coordinate development, organization, and publicity of QPIRG Concordia’s Alternative Library, an alternative publicly-accessible library of magazines, videos, books and pamphlets covering issues such as anti-racism, global economics, political theory, gender, environmentalism, health, and community organizing skills.
• Recruit and work with volunteers for the Library Committee
• Work with QPIRG staff and volunteers to identify gaps in the QPIRG Alternative Library (e.g. French language materials, materials on issues faced by students with disabilities, etc.)
• Train volunteers in data entry and database maintenance
• Organize a user-friendly and accessible system for borrowing and returning materials
• Organize training sessions for QPIRG staff and volunteers on efficient use of the system
• Use and improve database to catalogue Alternative Library materials
• Develop strategy to publicize the Alternative Library to Concordia students and the broader
• Work with committee to research and order new materials (books, magazines, tapes/CDs, videos, etc.)
• Budget for purchasing of new materials
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Monday, May 22, 2017, before 5pm.
TO APPLY: Please send a CV, cover letter and clear indication of your work study eligibility to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Alternative Library Coordinator” in the subject line OR drop off a CV, cover letter and indication of work study eligibility at our office (please leave in our mailbox slot). If you have any questions, including about salary, you can email us at email@example.com. Please note that only applicants who are short-listed for interviews will be contacted by the hiring committee.
EMPLOYMENT EQUITY: QPIRG Concordia recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from marginalized and oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to QPIRG Concordia in their cover letter or resume. Please indicate clearly in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for Employment Equity. A full copy of the employment equity policy is available upon request. You can contact QPIRG Concordia at (514) 848-7585, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, #204 (Monday-Thursday, 12-6pm).
ABOUT QPIRG CONCORDIA: The Quebec Public Interest Research Group at Concordia is a resource centre for student and community research and organizing. We strive to raise awareness and support grassroots activism around diverse social and environmental issues. Our work is rooted in an anti-oppression analysis and practice. We seek to make campus-community links and inspire social change through engaging, inclusive and non-hierarchical approaches. For more information about QPIRG Concordia, visit www.qpirgconcordia.org
You can contact QPIRG Concordia at (514) 848-7585, email us at email@example.com or visit us at 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, #204 (Monday-Thursday, 12-6pm). For more information about QPIRG Concordia, visit www.qpirgconcordia.org and for more info about the Alternative Library visit: http://qpirgconcordia.org/librarycirculation