QPIRG Concordia Summer Research Stipend (deadline: June 5, 2017)
Deadline to apply: Monday, June 5, 2017 before 5pm
QPIRG’s research stipend is intended to provide a budget/honorarium of $3,000 to work over the summer doing research or working on projects leading towards action and change on campus and within the Montreal community. We encourage anyone interested to apply!
Successful applicants will demonstrate to the selection committee that:
2. Please explain in detail whether the subject/topic of your project has been informed by feedback and direction from communities that are directly affected by the topic/subject of your project.
- the research or project will be useful, and implemented as a useful campus and community resource
Examples of past stipends at QPIRG Concordia include the development and implementation of:
- My Institutional Memory Project (PINAY), documenting and preserving the organizational history of PINAY (a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering and organizing Filipino women, particularly domestic workers) in the form of a digital archive.
- Gentrify This! A Student’s Guide to Understanding and Resisting Gentrification.
- Queers Made This: A Visual Archive of Radical Queer Organising in Montreal, 2005-2010 by members of Qteam.
- Resisting Deportations: A Community Guide by members of Solidarity Across Borders.
- Convergence, a journal of undergraduate and community research.
- Vélo! Vélo!, a conference about and for bicycle collectives in the Greater Montreal Area
- The Community-University Research Exchange (CURE) database, linking student research with grassroots groups throughout Montreal and beyond.
In your application, please include:
a) a proposal that outlines the objectives of your project, the needs it addresses, and how it fulfills the above criteria. (2 pages maximum)
b) a CV with two references; for groups of more than 2 people applying, instead of a CV for each person, please provide a short (maximum one page) document outlining the relevant experiences and skills of your group collectively, as well as two references
c) a project timeline that shows clear goals for the summer, as well as the follow-up action period (note: work on projects can continue into the fall, but all expenses must be finalized by the end of August).
d) a budget of estimated expenses (and revenue, if any) for the project (i.e. honorarium, photocopies, travel costs, long distance phone calls, etc).
* Please keep in mind that the $3000 stipend is meant to cover both the estimated project expenses and an honorarium for the project coordinator(s).
** Please also note that the selection of stipends will be entirely based on the applications submitted. There will be no interviews held as part of the selection process. If you have questions or need any help with preparing the application, we encourage you to get in touch.
Responsibilities of Stipend recipients include:
- outlining with a QPIRG board or staff member the method and payment plan for the stipend (NOTE: a TOTAL of $3000 is given per project)
- meeting with a QPIRG board or staff member to give updates on the progress of the project at least once per month throughout the duration of the project
- giving at least three oral reports to the QPIRG board throughout the duration of the project
- producing a final written report of the project that includes a summary of the completed project
- providing QPIRG with any materials that were produced
- presenting their project at QPIRG’s Annual General Meeting in October.
- acknowledging QPIRG Concordia’s contribution to the project on all publicity material
Please submit a research stipend proposal with all the above documents to QPIRG Concordia by 5pm on Monday, June 5, 2017:
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- dropped off in person at our office DURING OFFICE HOURS (Monday to Thursday, 12-6pm): 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, suite 204 (corner of Mackay).
- sent by mail to: QPIRG Concordia, c/o Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Ouest, Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8 (it must arrive before the deadline)
Employment Equity: QPIRG Concordia recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from marginalized and oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to QPIRG Concordia in their cover letter or resume. Please indicate clearly in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for Employment Equity. A full copy of the employment equity policy is available upon request.
Are you interested but not sure if your idea would be accepted? Have lots of energy to commit to a project but fresh out of ideas? Give us a shout!
Contact us with questions at 514-848-7585, email us at email@example.com, or drop by our office: