(deadline extended) QPIRG Concordia & McGill are hiring two (2) School Schmool Coordinators!
(Please note: The new extended deadline for this position is Monday, May 15 at midnight!)
Deadline to apply: Monday, May 15th 2017 at midnight
Contract Start Date: Monday, June 5th, 2017
BOTH these positions are partially funded by the Young Canada Works In Both Official Languages (YCWBOL) program. Candidates must be eligible for YCW positions (full-time students intending to return to school in the fall, not working full-time elsewhere – see www.youngcanadaworks.ca for eligibility details).
School Schmool: An Activist’s Guide to McGill, Concordia, and Montreal
School Schmool is an activist day planner for students at McGill, Concordia, and for the Montreal community. It includes relevant and engaging articles, resources, and practical tools for students and non-students to participate in social and environmental justice organizing, as well as a useful day planner to organize busy academic and activist schedules. School Schmool is a long-time publication of QPIRG-McGill and QPIRG Concordia.
PLEASE NOTE: Two coordinators will be hired – one QPIRG McGill-focused coordinator and one QPIRG Concordia-focused coordinator. Please state for which position you are applying based on your knowledge and experience with either of the organizations or their communities.
* Working with the staff and Board of both PIRGs to choose themes, vision and plan for the 2017-2018 agenda
* Liaising with campus groups, QPIRG working groups, and community groups to promote participation in the publication and expand the resource database in the agenda
* Soliciting articles, art and other contributions from individuals and organizations
* Extensive work with desktop-publishing software – mainly Indesign
* Developing and supporting a volunteer committee of writers, editors and artists
* Collecting, selecting, and assembling content into publication format, using desktop-publishing and website-publishing software (Indesign, Photoshop and WordPress)
* Working closely with the printing company on the layout and printing of School Schmool
* Meeting QPIRG Concordia and QPIRG-McGill’s mandates to create campus-community links at Concordia and McGill universities
* Developing a web component of School Schmool to digitally archive the project
* Meeting with a staff liaison and/or QPIRG board member to give updates on the progress of the project/get support at least once per month through the duration of the summer
* Giving at least two reports to the QPIRG boards through the summer
* Producing a final written report of the project giving a summary and evaluation of the project
* Attending the Annual General Meetings of each PIRG to present this report to the membership
* Helping to organize final launch parties, if they occur
* a demonstrated commitment to social and environmental change
* project and volunteer coordination experience
* writing and editing skills
* ability to work collaboratively and by consensus
* familiarity and experience with desktop publishing applications (ex. InDesign, Photoshop)
* familiarity with website publishing applications (ex. WordPress)
* artistic design and layout skills
* knowledge of social and environmental justice organizations in Montreal
* fluency in English (oral and written)
* ability to work in French (oral)
* familiarity with QPIRG Concordia and the Concordia campus and/or QPIRG-McGill and the McGill campus
* fluency in French (written)
* experience with fundraising through grant-writing or other university-based funding sources
This is a 12-week contract to start on June 5th, 2017. Wage: salary and hours to be discussed, please call or email for more information!
Due to criteria imposed by funding from a federal grant, Canadian out-of-province students, and/or Anglophone students whose province of residence is not Quebec but who are presently studying in Quebec, and who are returning to school full-time in September 2017, will be prioritized for one of the positions. In your cover letter, please indicate if you are eligible.
Please submit a CV and cover letter by May 15th at midnight:
- via email to “email@example.com” (please indicate clearly in the subject line which position you are applying to
- dropped off in person at the QPIRG Concordia office during office hours (Monday to Thursday, 12-6pm): 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, suite 204 (corner of Mackay – please note the QPIRG is a scent-free and wheelchair accessible space)
- sent by mail to: QPIRG Concordia, c/o Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Ouest, Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8 (it must arrive before the deadline)
Accessibility notes regarding applications:
- If you would like to submit your application in writing and need or want any help with writing, you can ask to meet with a staff member or board member before the application deadline.
- If it is not possible for you to submit a cover letter written with full paragraphs, you can submit a cover letter in bullet point form or in a list format.
- You can also submit your application in audio or video format if you prefer or if that’s easier/more possible for you. If submitting an audio or video application, please try to include the same kinds of information you might include in a CV and cover letter. If you are submitting an audio application, please use mp3 or wav formats. If you are submitting a video application, please use mp4 format.
Should you have a potential co-coordinator in mind who is also applying and with whom you would ideally want to work, feel free to mention this in your cover letter. However, we cannot guarantee that both of you will be hired.
QPIRG Concordia and QPIRG McGill have an employment equity policy in effect. QPIRG values the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization. We encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBT*QI, women, immigrants and people from working class backgrounds to apply. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. We encourage these individuals to apply for these positions, and to describe their unique contributions in their applications. Work experience at QPIRG is not a pre-requisite for the position, nor will it privilege your application. Please indicate in your proposal if you would like to be considered for employment equity (full policy available upon request).
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by the hiring committee.