QPIRG Concordia is committed to being inclusive and accessible to all. We are actively opposed to all forms of discrimination and oppression.
Therefore, we ask that QPIRG members and space users be aware of their language and behaviour, and to think about whether it might be oppressive to others. QPIRG is not a space for violence, racism, ageism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, ableism, sizeism, sleaziness, or touching another person without consent. Acting in a way that perpetuates oppression, including through language, is not acceptable.
Sexual harassment shall be defined as:
- Unwanted attention of a sexual nature; or
- Implied or expressed promise of reward for complying with a sexually oriented request; or
- Implied or expressed threat of reprisal, actual reprisal or the denial of opportunity for the refusal to comply with a sexually oriented request; or
- Sexually oriented remarks or behaviour that may reasonably be perceived to create a negative working environment (Source: People’s Potato Constitution)
- Please be mindful of the following when interacting in the QPIRG space:
- Respect everyone’s physical and emotional boundaries. Ask first before touching, and listen and change your behavior if someone tells you that you are making them uncomfortable.
- Respect the pronouns and names of everyone. Do not assume anyone’s gender identity, sexual preference, survivor status, dis/abilities, economic status, background, health, etc.
- Check in before discussing topics that might be triggering (e.g. sexual abuse, sexual experiences, physical violence, or encounters with the police). Be aware that there are many other discussion topics that can be triggering to people – such as racism, sexism, ableism, and other forms of systemic violence. It’s not always possible to know what is triggering for someone, so if possible – especially in one-on-one discussions – try to ask.
- Be responsible for your own actions. Be aware that your actions have an effect on others despite what your intentions may be.
- Respect people’s opinions, beliefs, experiences and differing points of view.
- QPIRG is a social learning space, where persons should not be personally attacked, but one’s behaviour may be critiqued. Be open to understanding the role your behaviour has in other people’s experiences of oppression.
- We cannot guarantee a snitch-free or cop-free space. Please keep that in mind.
- Be mindful of the presence of children and helper animals. Try not to leave anything around that could endanger them or other adults.
QPIRG recognizes that organizing and activist spaces are not necessarily spaces liberated from sexual assault and gender-based violence. Sexual assault and gender-based violence breaks our movements and our communities. We reject the silence surrounding these issues and commit to creating spaces that acknowledge this reality as well as fighting structures and individuals that sustain rape culture within our society. We also believe in the importance of establishing support and inclusion mechanisms for individuals who have experienced sexual assault as a way of trying to break through the isolation and alienation that sexual assault creates.
We acknowledge that women of colour and Indigenous women, trans people, disabled women, non-status women, psych survivors, women using substances, and poor women are disproportionately affected by sexual violence and this is the product of the racist, colonialist, ableist, ageist, capitalist, misogynist system within which our society exists.
For more information regarding sexual assault, please speak with QPIRG Staff. You may also refer to the following two organizations: