We are currently seeking applications for the position of Campus Social Justice Research Summer Coordinator. This is a grant-based contract position for full-time students (any university). Please see eligibility requirements below.
ABOUT QPIRG: The Quebec Public Interest Research Group at Concordia is a resource centre for student and community research and organizing. We strive to raise awareness and support grassroots activism around diverse social and environmental issues. Our work is rooted in an anti-oppression analysis and practice. We seek to make campus-community links and inspire social change through engaging, inclusive and non-hierarchical approaches.
– Outreach and communications with Concordia departments and faculty to raise awareness about social justice research
– Working in collaboration with QPIRG Concordia staff and board members to outreach to Concordia students about social justice research
– Updating the QPIRG Concordia website and database of contacts
– Organizing a schedule of classroom visits and other outreach initiatives on the Concordia campus for September
– Helping to plan awareness-raising event in August/September
– Brainstorming and implementing other strategies to raise the profile of QPIRG Concordia and social justice research
– Working collaboratively with staff and board of QPIRG Concordia to meet short and long-term goals for QPIRG Concordia
– Submitting a final report detailing work completed to the QPIRG Concordia Board of directors at the end of the contract
– Experience with the structures of academia and academic research, specifically at Concordia University
– Experience with outreach to Concordia undergraduates
– Knowledge of Montreal-area community groups
– Knowledge of QPIRG Concordia, including its mandates and projects
– Strong website skills (including good knowledge of wordpress)
– Comfort with computers in Mac and PC environments
– Ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds
– Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
– Ability to take initiative and work independently
– Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
– Good oral communication skills in French
– Creative problem-solving skills
– Commitment to social justice and to QPIRG’s mandate to counter discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, religion, colour, dis/ability, size, and class
Please note that this job is open to any student in high school, university, CEGEP, or in a vocational or technical program anywhere in Canada who meet the following eligibility requirements:
– Have been registered as a full-time student (in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP, vocational or technical program) in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
– Be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
– Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
– Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
EMPLOYMENT EQUITY: QPIRG Concordia recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from marginalized and oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to QPIRG Concordia in their cover letter or resume. Please indicate clearly in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for Employment Equity.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: MONDAY, June 27, 2016 before 5pm.
CONTRACT DURATION: 7 week contract, beginning on July 4, 2016 (for full salary and hours details contact the hiring committee at the address below)
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a CV, cover letter and a clear indication of your eligibility to email@example.com with “Campus Social Justice Research Summer Coordinator” in the subject line; OR you can drop off the same information at our office during business hours (Monday to Thursday, 12-6pm, at 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, #204). You can contact QPIRG-Concordia at (514) 848-7585, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, #204. Please note that only applicants who are short-listed for interviews will be contacted by the hiring committee.
For more information about QPIRG Concordia, visit www.qpirgconcordia.org
Please note that QPIRG Concordia is located in a wheelchair accessible office. There is a wheelchair access ramp at the front of the building, with two 40″ non-automated doors in the front. The office is located on the second floor, accessed with an elevator. The doors to the office and the washroom are non-automated and 30″ and 33” wide respectively. QPIRG Concordia is also a scent-free and chemical-free space. A full description of our accessibility information is available here: https://www.qpirgconcordia.org/?page_id=4174