The Quebec Public Interest Research Group at Concordia is a resource centre for student and community research and organizing. We strive to raise awareness and support grassroots activism around diverse social and environmental issues. Our work is rooted in an anti-oppression analysis and practice. We seek to make campus-community links and inspire social change through engaging, inclusive and non-hierarchical approaches.
Please note that this job is open to any student in high school, university, CEGEP, or in a vocational or technical program anywhere in Canada who meet the following eligibility requirements:
– Have been registered as a full-time student (in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP, vocational or technical program) in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
– Be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
– Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
– Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
Monday, June 12, 2017, by 5pm
The Alternative Orientation Summer Coordinator will work in collaboration with QPIRG staff and volunteers. The main tasks of the position include planning, organizing, and promoting QPIRG’s Alternative Orientation program.
This is a seven-week contract, June-August, 2017.
Description of tasks:
– Work with QPIRG staff and volunteers to plan the program for Alternative Orientation
– Recruit and train volunteers for the Alternative Orientation programming committee
– Work with QPIRG staff to create, print, and distribute promotional materials (flyers, posters, etc.)
– Manage the logistical aspects of the Alternative Orientation program such as venue booking, schedule of activities, etc.
– Submit a final report to QPIRG’s Board of Directors at the end of the contract detailing work completed
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
– Ability to work alone as well as in a group
– Ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds
– Demonstrated skills in organization and time management
– Sense of initiative and ability to work autonomously
– Skills in the recruitment, retention, and coordination of volunteers
– Written and verbal communication skills in English and French
– Creative problem-solving skills
– Comfort with computers in Mac and PC environments
– Fundraising skills
– Commitment to social justice and to QPIRG’s mandate to counter discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, religion, colour, dis/ability, size, and class
– Skills in design and layout of posters and flyers (InDesign and/or Photoshop)
– Knowledge of the Concordia community, including student groups
– Volunteer experience and/or working within a volunteer organization
– Knowledge of other languages, including signed languages
QPIRG Concordia has an employment equity policy (the full policy is available here: www.qpirgconcordia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/employment-equity-policy.pdf). People from marginalized groups are encouraged to apply. If you would like to be considered for employment equity please indicate this on your covering letter by including the statement “I would like to be considered for employment equity.” No further elaboration is necessary, but you are free to add more information if you would like.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send us your cover letter and CV, by e-mail, mail, or in person, BEFORE 5pm on MONDAY, JUNE 12, 2017. Please indicate “Attn: Hiring Committee” on your e-mail or letter.
1455 de Maisonneuve West,
Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8
Street address/Office Location:
1500 de Maisonneuve West, Suite 204
Open Monday – Thursday, 12 – 6pm
Please note that QPIRG Concordia is located in a wheelchair accessible office. There is a wheelchair access ramp at the front of the building, with two 40″ non-automated doors in the front. The office is located on the second floor, accessed with an elevator. The doors to the office and the washroom are non-automated and 30″ and 33” wide respectively. QPIRG Concordia is also a scent-free and chemical-free space. A full description of our accessibility information is available here: https://www.qpirgconcordia.org/?page_id=4174
For more information about QPIRG Concordia, please visit our website www.qpirgconcordia.org or come by the office! Our office is located at 1500 de Maisonneuve West, #204 (office hours: Monday to Thursday between 12-6pm).